Environmental, Health & Safety
The Big Creek Group of Companies is invested and committed to improving the health, safety and environment for all its employees, contractors, students and visitors. This initiative is led by the EHS department under the guidance of Senior Management.
Currently, the Environmental, Health and Safety Department is being expanded and improved (through online training and additional personnel) to builds its capacity, strength and the company’s overall safety culture. The primary objective of this department, to be selected as the Port, Shipping and Agro service provider of choice in Belize, will be met by consistently achieving and maintaining good safety, health and environmental practices.
It is acknowledged, that a strong and effective Health and Safety program is only possible through cooperation, coordination and communication (the 3 C’s) between all employees of Big Creek Group of Companies and their employer. These are the core building blocks of this program. By utilising the 3 C’s, the program is being propelled in the right direction towards achieving its primary goal of a solid Health and Safety Program. With this intention, several activities are currently in place, being developed or will be included in the very near future as highlighted below.
Current major tasks/activities being conducted:
- All worksites are inspected on a monthly interval to identify and document any unsafe act, condition or behaviour.
- Monthly Inspection of all Fire Extinguishers
- Monthly assessment of the general compound for condition of signage, lights, Life Rings, roads and drainage.
- Active Oil Spill prevention and clean up as necessary.
- Health & Safety Trainings and induction sessions for all employees, contractors and students.
Goals/ Future activities:
- Water Quality Monitoring Program
- Air Monitoring Program
- Mangrove restoration Program
- Ways to minimize Big Creek Group of Companies carbon foot by balancing environmental challenges with economic demand.
ENVIRONMENT, HEALTH & SAFETY POLICIES
- We consider Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) to be of equal importance to all other functions of the business and operate a EHS Management system comparable with OHSAS 18001; and ISO 14001.
- Our EHS Department provides competent advice on all matters of health, safety and welfare to assist management, employees and their representatives in their tasks and responsibilities.
- Protection of the environment, the safety and health of all those involved is an integral part of our activities.
- We are committed to continuous improvement in our processes to manage safety, health and environmental performance.
- We will contribute to the continuity of our Company by the systematic control, prevention and elimination of hazards.
- We will continuously work towards our goals of zero incidents and no damage to the environment.
- We will strictly adhere to safety, health and environmental governing regulations as a minimum.
- Line management’s responsibility is to demonstrate visible commitment, enforcement and provision of appropriate resources to implement our EHS policy.
- Safety is everyone’s responsibility and we expect every employee to contribute to the prevention of accidents by reporting, analyzing and controlling safety, health and environmental hazards. This will be supported by efficient and effective training programs and the development of annual EHS improvement plans.